Corporate Event Planning Ideas
February 24th, 2021
There are many factors that need to be taken into consideration when planning a corporate event. While there is no ‘one size fits all’ model that event planners can follow, there are some basic guidelines to keep in mind that will make for a much easier and enjoyable planning process. In this post, you will find valuable resources to help guide you through your corporate event planning.
Types of Corporate Events
There are many different kinds of corporate events, and for the most part, they have the same basic requirements for event planning as corporate parties do. Generally speaking, they’re intended to offer knowledge and learning opportunities to employees, demonstrate products, or strengthen the corporate community and culture. In other words, corporate events emphasize sharing, whether it’s with customers and clients or within the company itself.
Below are some examples of common corporate events:
- Seminars and conferences
- Trade shows
- Team-building events
- Non-profit fundraisers
- Product launches
Importance of a Theme
The theme of the party sets the tone, and is the driving force for entertainment! With so many options for decorations, music, and dress codes, the potential to be considered is limitless. The theme also affects your budget, ideal venue location, and catering services. For that reason, the theme of your corporate event should be the first thing you decide on. The theme you choose is also useful for spreading the word and generating interest in your event. The more interesting the theme, the more interested people will be in attending.
Corporate Event Logistics
After you’ve chosen your theme it’s time to move on to the finer details. While your theme may place some restrictions on where you can hold the event and what you’ll need to successfully run it, it also prevents option paralysis. A limited number of options is better than being overwhelmed by too many options.
- Budget. Before you can make many other decisions you’ll need to establish your budget. This arguably plays the largest role and is the first thing that needs to be determined after the theme. When determining your budget, it’s always a good idea to have a comfortable cushion, as things always seem to pop up unexpectedly when planning an event
- Number of attendees. Allow an appropriate window of time for RSVPs with a specified date of return. This will ensure you receive your attendee number when ample time to reserve enough space, create a seating arrangement and set a menu for everyone to enjoy.
- Venue. Choosing the right venue is key for two very important reasons- Interior Design of the venue and the number of attendees. Most venue hires for corporate events have restrictions that must be adhered to; for example, a hotel venue may have rules about the noise level. Others have security requirements. And every venue is going to have a limit for how many people can be in the building, for fire safety reasons. You also want to be sure to choose a venue with ample space so your guests don’t feel crowded and can move around freely. Depending on the time of year, you might be competing with other companies in search of a venue for their own corporate party events. The sooner you start looking the less you’ll have to worry about other people booking the best places. The interior design or decorum of the venue you choose is important as it will lend a hand in the creation of your overall vision and theme for the event. Choosing a venue that works with your theme helps to tie everything together, and may offer interesting use of space when deciding what activities, seating arrangements, or food choices will be included in the event.
- Catering. Aside from choosing a catering service that fits your theme and budget, you’ll also need to be aware of any dietary restrictions that your attendees may have. Always be sure to include options for people with specific dietary needs or restrictions such as food allergies, gluten intolerance, or guests who are vegan or vegetarian, etc.
- Date. Make sure to give your coworkers and guests plenty of notice prior to the event. This gives them enough time to make any arrangements such as childcare and transportation. When choosing a date for your event it is also important to keep in mind federal holidays, national holidays, religious holidays, school events, and sporting events that could pose a problem with attendance for your guests. Creating a poll with a list of potential dates is always a great way to determine the best date that works for the majority.
- Music. Depending on the theme and type of event, music can play a great part in capturing the vibe of the evening. Some options for music include booking a live band, a DJ, or simply putting together a playlist to be streamed at the event. Some events, namely smaller ones, need little more than a karaoke machine. Whichever you choose, make sure to check with your venue to ensure it includes or allows for the equipment you’re going to need.
- Rehearsal. If your event is going to include speeches, an awards ceremony, or follow a specific schedule of any kind, it is always a good idea to have time set aside prior to the event to to rehearse the logistics of the evening. Making sure everyone is comfortable with the timing of what they are expected to present is crucial.
Assemble an Event Planning Team
The most important component of Event Planning is delegating the tasks to ensure that everything is taken care of and there is plenty of help. Finding the best person for each job, and assembling an event planning team is key to having a successful and seamless event. Tasks that can be delegated to members of your corporate event planning team include (but are not limited to):
- Creating and sending invitations
- Party set-up and decorating
- Cleaning up after the event
- Finding and booking a venue
- Finding and booking catering services
- Allocating the budget
- Spreading the word through email reminders, flyers around the office, etc
Are you in need of a venue for your corporate event in Detroit? If so, we’ve got you covered. Contact us today to learn more about our venue rental services. Let us help you cross one more thing off of your event planning to-do list.